Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cinema Theater Ignorance is a Problem

I recently went to see the final chapter of the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II.  I was especially excited, because it was at an IMAX cinema theater in 3-D with digital surround sound that blew me out of my seat, so this was the complete experience.  Minutes into the film however I became aware of a loud crying sound, and found out that the lady two rows behind me had for whatever reason, decided to bring in what looked to me like her newborn baby.  Seriously?  Maybe you couldn't find a babysitter but really, you thought that a baby could sit through the intensity that was Harry Potter IMAX?  I would understand Winnie the Pooh or something similar but thats just inexcusable.

http://sunnyskeptic.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg
This hit it on the head for me, on what may be the biggest problem the cinema theaters are facing.  Its not the expensive tickets, or the way overpriced concessions, or the movie showtimes, but it's the other people in the movie that for whatever reason decide its ok to ruin the experience for everyone else.  In the last three movies alone I can specifically remember moments that took me away from the film and ruined it for me.  Along with the lady with her newborn (and unfortunately this happened again during Captain America), unattended kids that run around and talk the whole time, or the person that decides to text or look on their bright phone through the whole movie need to show respect for the rest of us who pay to see the film.

One solution is that there should be some restrictions on who can be let in to see non kid films like it is with a rated R movie.  Other than using common sense, which should be understood before bringing a little kid into an intense movie, then this would cut out the rest of the people that just don't understand. Either way even if you decide to be courteous (thats a big IF) and take your kid out when crying, you will end up missing most of the movie anyways.  What is the reasoning here?  I mean it should be obvious like it is supposed to be, but since people are becoming more and more self absorbed there needs to be a restriction.

As long as you are seeing a movie showtime with hundreds of others, you will never get fully past this problem like the person who wants to text the whole time. The real issue is that it is becoming harder and harder to put up with it when you have to spend so much to see a movie.  I was so excited the other day to see Harry Potter in IMAX, and after the $40 dollars or so I spent on tickets and concessions one lady with her crying newborn ruined it.  I for one will definitely think hard before I want to go risk spending that kind of money at a cinema theater for a 2 hour movie with no assurance that I won't have distractions next time.

What do you feel is the biggest problem with cinema theaters?  Read my other blog that talks about some other problems they are facing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment